Discover the beloved Venezuelan national dish of “Arepas” stuffed with Reina Pepiada, a tangy and creamy chicken and avocado filling that’s both affordable and delicious. Follow our step by step guide to make your own authentic and mouth-watering arepas.
Arepas Stuffed with Reina Pepiada: A Delicious and Affordable Venezuelan National Dish
Join us on a culinary journey to Venezuela as we discover a beloved national dish that’s both affordable and bound to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. The star of the show? The mouth-watering “arepas” a corn flour patty that has taken South America by storm.
For less than $2, these Venezuelan arepas filled with “Reina Pepiada” will leave your taste buds singing praises.
The “Reina Pepiada” filling features shredded chicken seasoned with a tangy twist of lemon and creamy avocado and topped off with a special touch of mayonnaise. The simplicity of the dish makes it a perfect meal for families with kids and its economical price makes it even more appealing, with each serving costing less than 2 dollars. Experience the rich flavors and traditions of Venezuela with this beloved and authentic recipe.
Step by Step Guide to Make Authentic Venezuelan Arepas Reina Pepiada Filling
To make delicious arepas filled with Reina Pepiada the following dough ingredients are needed:
- 12 oz of yellow or white precooked corn flour
- 16 oz of water
- A pinch of salt
- A small amount of butter for cooking
To create the delectable stuffing for your “Reina Pepiada” arepas gather the following ingredients:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 1 celery
- 1 spring onion
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 dried garlic clove
- 3-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Olive oil and salt to taste
To prepare the mouth watering “Reina Pepiada” follow these steps:
- In a pot place the chicken breast and cleaned, peeled vegetables. Cover the breast with water and add a pinch of salt. Cover the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil on high heat, then reduce the heat and let the breast cook for approximately 20 minutes. Once cooked remove the breast from the pot.
- Once the chicken has cooled shred it using a fork.
- Mash the ripe avocado, add the lemon juice, finely chopped garlic clove and a small amount of olive oil.
- Combine the avocado mixture with the shredded chicken, mixing well. Add the mayonnaise and mix again until well combined.
To prepare the perfect arepa dough follow these steps:
- Once the “Reina Pepiada” filling is ready it’s time to start with the dough. Add the pre-cooked corn flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl, and mix everything well.
- Next, pour warm water into the bowl and mix until the dough becomes a homogeneous and compact mixture. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Once the dough is ready, take portions of around 70-80 grams and shape them into balls. Flatten them on baking paper to the desired thickness.
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, cook the arepas for about 5 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC and bake the arepas for about 10 minutes.
- Finally open the arepas in half, fill them with the “Reina Pepiada” filling and enjoy!